1. A banana palm is a herb, not a tree.
2. The stem of a banana can reach 10 meters in height and almost half a meter in circumference.
3. One big banana plant can give three hundred kilograms of bananas per season.
4. There are thousand types of banana known. But only 5 varieties of bananas are considered suitable for human consumption.
5. For the first time in botany, the banana was described by Carl Linnaeus in 1753.
6. One banana contains up to 300 mg of potassium, which helps to fight with increased blood pressure and strengthens the heart muscle.
7. There are different colors of banana, yellow, red, golden, green and even black.
8. Most of the bananas grow in India and Brazil.
9. Bananas are 1.5 times more nutritious than potatoes, rich in vegetable protein and at the same time – no saturated fats.
10. In the 1930s, in Nazi Germany, bananas were declared “unpatriotic” fruit.
11. Banana is berries not a fruit.
12. Banana grows from bulbs not from seeds.
13. In Philippines, fruit sauce is made from banana.
14. In Uganda, where local people eat almost bananas, each person eats, on average, 220 kilograms of bananas a year.
15. Banana has 74% of water.
16. About 100billions of banana are consumed every year in the world.
17. Bananas contains an amazing amino acid – tryptophan, from which the human body synthesizes serotonin – a hormone of joy.
18. Banana is the fourth most popular and consumed agricultural product.
19. Two bananas may well replace dinner or breakfast for calorie and nutritional value.
20. Banana grows upside down, towards the sun that’s why banana is curved.
21. Banana fibers can be used to make ropes and tea bags.
22. Bananas can be used to make wine and beer, in some part of Africa people make it.
23. Due to potassium, banana is slightly radioactive but causes no harm.
24. Banana peels can be eaten if it is cooked.
25. Banana floats on water.
26. The unripe or green banana is cooked as vegetable.
27. Peel of banana can be used to whiten the teeth.
28. In India, once a man ate 81 bananas in just half hour.
29. In 1960, people tried to get high by smoking banana peels.
30. Human and banana have about 50%of identical genes.
31. The scientific name for banana is musa sapientum which means’ fruit of wise men”.
32. Bananas are very helpful for people who suffer from constipation problems.
33. Rubbing banana peel on the insect bite provides relief from itching.
34. Banana has property of lowering the high body temperature.
35. The most popular variety of bananas is Cavendish.
36. In India, the flower of a banana is sacred and symbolizes purity.
37. In California there is a Banana Club Museum. They have 17,000 different items made up of banana.
38. Bananas are used in cosmetology and not only at home, but also as ingredients of cosmetics.
39. Banana helps in weight loss.
40. Banana peel is used in making soap.
41. China had banned pictures and video of using banana in seductive way.
42. 51% of bananas are eaten in breakfast.
43. Mait Lepik from Estonia won in the world’s first banana eating competition for speed. He managed to eat 10 bananas in 3 minutes
44. Dried bananas contain 5 times more calories than fresh bananas.
45. Once the most popular varieties of bananas were virtually extinct in the 20th century due to the spread of diseases that affect these plants.
46. The compositions of bananas include antioxidants and amino acids, and they are known to protect the body and improve immunity.
47. Bananas inhibit calcium in the body; it is not excreted with urine, but remains in the body and is used to strengthen bones.
48. Rubbing banana peel during headache reduces the pain.
49. Banana is the only fruit that even in infants does not give an allergic reaction.
50. When weaning from nicotine addiction, it is recommended to eat bananas – a large number of vitamins, potassium, and magnesium help to remove the remnants of nicotine from the body and adapt to life without cigarettes.
1. A banana palm is a herb, not a tree.